The sciatic nerve pain can be so savage that you do not even feel like getting out of bed. There are more causes associated with it and while there are longterm treatments too, there are also some quick ways to relieve the pain and return to your everyday activities. Here is how to relieve sciatic nerve pain fast – a few exercises to put you back on track.
Sitting in the pigeon position
This pose is easy to get into without too much hassle. It may take a couple of minutes to alleviate the pain, but you need to do it correctly.
- Get on the floor and keep the legs stretched out straight as you sit down.
- Start bending the right leg slowly – the right ankle should make it on top of the left knee.
- Lean forward and try to stick the upper part of your body to the legs – get as close as you can, as there will obviously be some restrictions. Hold this position for about half a minute.
- Repeat the pose by bending the left leg then. This pose will stretch the lower back a little, but also the glutes.
Bringing knees to opposite shoulders
This is one of the most common recommendations when not sure how to relieve sciatic nerve pain fast. The stretch is easy to perform and will lose the glutes and a few surrounding muscles.
- You need to lie on the back.
- Extend your legs and keep the feet flexed upwards.
- Bend the left leg and get the hands around your knee.
- Pull it slowly until it reaches the right shoulder.
- Hold it for about 30 seconds. You may not be able to reach the shoulder – go as far as you can though.
- Return to the initial position and perform three such repetitions before switching legs.
If sciatica mostly affects your hamstrings, this stretching exercise will relieve the pain in that area.
- Get a small chair or go close to the staircase – one of your legs should be on a slightly elevated surface, not higher than the hip level.
- The leg and toes must be straight – you will feel some extension pressure.
- Slowly bend the body forward – do it as far as you can, but without getting uncomfortable.
- You must then release the hip of the leg downwards. You might need a bit of help here, so feel free to get an exercise band or a yoga strap. Hold the position for half a minute.
- Repeat the exercise for the other leg too.
Reclining the pigeon position
The so called pigeon pose is quite common in yoga and opens your hips. There are a few varieties, but one of them is classic. This is one of the first ways to alleviate sciatica pains if you have just been diagnosed.
- Lie on your back and bring the left leg up to a 90 degree angle.
- Clasp hands behind your thigh and lift the right leg. Place its ankle on top of the right knee.
- You will need to hold the pose for around 15 seconds – it will stretch your piriformis muscle.
- Perform the same move with the other leg. You can do a few reps on each side.
The pose might be uncomfortable at first. Once you can do it painlessly, you can switch to more complicated alternatives.
Stretching in the forward pigeon pose
There are more variants of the pigeon pose and the forward one is just as efficient when not sure how to relieve sciatic nerve pain fast.
- You must kneel on the floor – hands and knees on the floor.
- Move the left leg forward, while the right leg is still on the ground.
- Bring the left leg so forward that the foot is in front of the other knee.
- Stretch the right leg behind you – flex the toes as well.
- The top of the foot must be on the ground.
- Once you reach this position, the body weight should be slowly transferred from the arms to the legs.
- Sit up straight and breathe. As you exhale, transfer the weight back to the arms.
- Perform the pose for both sides.
Bottom line, these are some of the easiest solutions out there when not sure how to relieve sciatic nerve pain fast. Exercises are quick and efficient and should only take a minute or two – results are incredible though.
– 9 Harmful Sciatica Exercises To Avoid
– 10 Easy Sciatica Exercises To Try At Home
– 6 Tips On How To Sit Comfortably With Sciatica
– Top 4 Best Sciatica Stretches And Exercises For Seniors
– Is Running Good For Sciatica? – 8 Running Tips for Sciatica Patients
– Sciatica And Swimming – Can Swimming Help With Sciatica?
– 9 Different Techniques For The Best Massage For Sciatica
In Sciatica SOS™ , you’ll learn exactly how to relieve pain naturally and permanently
Sciatica SOS™ is a complete program for curing sciatica pain at home. It’s already helped many people overcome chronic sciatica quickly and easily – and it can do the same for you.
The program combines a simple exercise program with powerful home remedies that resolve the root causes of sciatica…reduce pain fast…and prevent it from returning.
Best of all, the program guarantees to relieve your pain in just 7 days.
Would it be a relief to be free from sciatica pain by this time next week?
To learn more about Sciatica SOS™, check out the following free video presentation: Sciatica SOS™
If you purchase Sciatica SOS™ today and your pain hasn’t been eliminated in just 7 days, you can claim a full, no-questions-asked refund (how many chiropractors offer that kind of guarantee?). Hundreds of former sciatica sufferers are already living a pain-free life thanks to these methods. So why not try it?